What you need to know before and after your spray tan
What to do before your tan
- Tan at the right time - You will need to wait as close to 24 hours before using soap after your spray tan is applied. You will be able to do a warm water rinse after 8-12 hours though! (or 2-4 hours with our rapid tan)
- Exfoliate - Before your session exfoliate to remove dead, dry skin cells. This allows the bronzing spray to absorb into fresh, clean skin. Your tan will not only be more even, but will last longer as well. Also avoid arriving to your session with lotion or makeup on your skin as this will create a barrier on your skin.
Wear dark and loose fitting clothing - Tight clothes can rub off or smear your tan. Please wear or bring dark, loose fitting clothing and a pair of flip flops to wear after your session.
How to Exfoliate
- When to exfoliate - Make sure you exfoliate before your appointment. While the day of your appointment is best, the night before is fine.
- Take a hot shower - Creating a nice steamy environment is great for the exfoliating process. This is also a great opportunity to shave and wash your hair.
- Scrub - Using a glow bar, exfoliating glove, loofah, or washcloth exfoliate your skin in a circular motion. This will remove layers of dead skin, old tans and other impurities and leave you with an excellent canvas for your next spray tan. Don't forget to exfoliate under your arms and other hard to reach areas.
- Rinse - Rinse your body and use only natural or chemical free soaps. You want to avoid leaving a barrier between your skin and your spray tan.
- Avoid moisturizer, lotion, deodorant, and makeup -Remember you want to have nothing on your skin for your spray tan.
What to Wear
- You should wear dark and loose-fitting clothing (including shoes-flip flops are a good option), stay away from silk or leather, and don’t wear a bra (unless you plan on tanning with it on).
- The solution can get on your clothes (don’t worry it washes out in the washing machine) so it is better to wear dark clothes.
- You don’t want to wear tight clothes because it might cause streaks where they fit tightly.
What to Expect
Initially, you will see immediate color. This is just a bronzer that will give you instant gratification. DHA is what dyes your skin and it stops developing around 24 hours, so we ask that you refrain from using soap until then. However, you can do a warm water rinse after 8-12 hours.
Your spray tan can definitely last 5-7 days or up to 7-10 days depending on how well it is taken care of. After care instructions will be given to you at your spray tan session.
- For best results, it is important to prep by showering, shaving, and exfoliating before your spray tan appointment. (The night before is recommended.)
- Louisiana Glow carries the perfect exfoliating mitt called Dermasuri to remove dry, dead skin. This will allow your clean, fresh skin to absorb the bronzing spray better.
- You may want to wash your hair as well because for a longer lasting tan you will need to wait as close to 24 hours before using soap after your spray tan is applied.
- Avoid sweating - Immediately after your spray tanning session. Avoid activities that may cause you to sweat excessively to avoid streaking the cosmetic bronzer. Use the air conditioning in your car on a hot day. Remember, you have just been tinted with a water-soluble solution.
- You should not use any lotion because it will create a barrier on your skin causing an interference with the bronzing process.
- Deodorant can be used sparingly before your tan, but do not use gel or men's deodorant.
- If you decide to wear makeup on the day of your tan, make sure to remove it before your spray tan session to get the most even tan on your face.